About Me

Hey, I'm That 1 Sports Guy and I am a sports fan just like you probably are. I mainly follow the big 3: baseball, basketball and football and will be giving my opinions on some hot topics concerning those sports (or just stuff I find interesting). I am a fan of Arizona sporting teams (Dbacks, Suns and Cardinals) but I will try my best not to be too bias.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Will Peyton Manning be out of Luck?


So this season the Indianapolis Colts were the biggest losers.  Now that the season is over, it’s time to trim the fat.  First out the door is Jim Caldwell.  This is a guy who in his rookie season took the Colts to a Super Bowl (where they ultimately lost to the Saints but that’s beside the point).  He’s been in the system for years and received the reigns after Dungy called it quits.  Even with Manning backing up Caldwell, he still gets canned.  So with Caldwell’s firing in place what does that say about the direction the team is heading? 

Let’s face it; this team’s success has been due to Peyton Manning.  The only thing that hadn’t changed from 2000-2009 where the Colts are the winningest team (.719 winning percentage) in the regular season: Peyton.   He’s won with, a putrid running game (outside of Edgerrin James) and a defense who, other than  a few great pass rushers, haven’t stepped up to the plate.  Then the one year that Peyton doesn’t play, we get this.  To me it’s clear this organization rides Manning’s coat tails a little more than they should.

Now, Owner and CEO Jim Irsay and General Manager Ryan Grigson are left with a decision: what to do with Andrew Luck.  Its clear Luck will be drafted number 1 overall by the Colts; otherwise they run the risk of being the team that could have had the next big thing.  Its not a sure thing that Manning will even take another snap in this league (although all signs are indicating he will).  Even if he’s not 100%, I’m sure most teams in this league would give up a lot to get a stiff necked Peyton. 

So what to do with Luck.  A few teams out there might even give you half of their defense for this kid.  I mean look what the Cardinals gave up for a backup Philly QB with less upside than Luck.  The possibilities are endless for the Colts.  There is still run the risk of Manning’s health.  Odds are Manning will have another pro-bowl season next year and I’ll stand by that until he proves me wrong; after blessing us with the career he’s had, Peyton deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Keeping both Luck and Manning is quite reminiscent of two great quarterbacks over in Green Bay.  When it’s all said and done I’m sure “Cheese Heads” are happy with that outcome, although I’m sure Favre wasn’t.  If I were an Indy fan, I would want the same scenario.  Keep Manning for a few more years, then kick him to the curb when Luck matures.  If only it were that simple.

Caldwell’s departure doesn't bode well for Manning’s future in Indi.  It shows management wants change. There are two types of coaches that the Colts can hire.  One that will be there for show and continue to run the team like it’s been for the past 10 years, or hire a coach that will inspire change.  The latter might cause controversy with Peyton, since he practically is the offensive coordinator.  Hiring a mirror image of Caldwell though would hinder Luck’s grooming.  I’m probably not the only one that thinks Caldwell is no Mike McCarthy. Maybe they could convince Peyton to come back as head coach instead. I doubt however, anyone would enjoy that unless they enjoy seeing the constant scowl on his face on the sideline.

It’ll be interesting to see the course of action the Colts take during this offseason.  Personally I’d like to see both QBs stay in Indy.  I wouldn’t object however to seeing Peyton going elsewhere and giving another team a chance at the title (much like Warner did with the Cards). 

So anyways that’s sports: from the fans perspective.  

-That 1 Sports Guy

1 comment:

  1. I think he would be a great fit with the Cardinals, to think what he could co with Fitz as his receiver would be a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete