About Me

Hey, I'm That 1 Sports Guy and I am a sports fan just like you probably are. I mainly follow the big 3: baseball, basketball and football and will be giving my opinions on some hot topics concerning those sports (or just stuff I find interesting). I am a fan of Arizona sporting teams (Dbacks, Suns and Cardinals) but I will try my best not to be too bias.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Week 1 Overview and Thursday Night Pick

Week 1: 9-7 Overall:  9-7

So week one is in the bag.  There were some predictable victories and some upsets.  Here are the top 3 things that I noticed during week one. 

1.  RG3 is the real deal.  He not only upset the new look Saints but did so with style.  Scrambling around, finding open targets, and busting big plays.  He made a team that had no offensive rhythm last year look stunning.  Griffin threw for 320 yards with 2 TDs and no picks.  The Saints defense is a watered down version of years past but this still was an impressive performance.  With a tougher pass rush this week facing the Rams, lets see if RG3 can keep up this high level of performance. 

2.  Either the 49ers aren’t a fluke team or Aaron Rodgers isn’t as perfect as we expected him to be.  I will not doubt the fact that the 49ers defense is VERY good and that the Green Bay defense is exploitable.  But with the extra weapons the 49ers added this off season with Manningham and (gasp) Randy Moss, there are viable options other than Gore and Davis.  This looks to be much of the same formula as last year and if Smith continues to complete 77% of his passes they will be a top seed once again.

3. All the reports were right.  Atlanta will throw the ball more and Julio Jones is a top receiver in this league.  Roddy White has always been Ryan’s go to guy but with more of a game plan surrounding Jones, the sophomore receiver had a huge game.  Michael Turner and Jacquizz Rodgers combined for only 18 rushing attempts.  Once The Falcons took to the air in the second half, what was a close game became 16 point victory.

Overall last week I was at least positive. I went 9-7.  This week I vow to not get worse.
Here is my pick for the Thursday night game:


Bears vs. Packers

Last week Aaron Rodgers didn’t look quite like Aaron Rodgers.  Green Bay couldn’t get anything going with a lack of a running game, a beaten up Jennings meanwhile facing a tough 49ers defense.  Randall Cobb showed to have an improved role in the offense yet still the team fell up short.  The defense still struggled like it did last year allowing Gore to run up and down the field.  They even allowed Randy Moss to stroll his walker into the endzone to catch a TD pass. 

The Bears played a much easier opponent in the Colts.  They faced a rookie QB and a soft defense.  Brandon Marshall was reunited and I’m sure it felt good as the former duo hooked up for 119 yards on 9 catches.  Meanwhile the rushing tandem of Forte and Bush look deadly.  Rookie Alshon Jeffery also looks to be a good 2nd option for Cutler.

I see this game being more high scoring than Green Bay’s week one outing.  Both teams have the talent to put up high numbers.  I don’t see Rodgers disappointing two weeks in a row and I do see Cutler scorching this Green Bay defense.  I think this game will come down to 2 things: special teams and turnovers.  Both teams have electric return men, which ever one gets better field position will help their team get the W.  Chicago should rely a bit on their run game this week.  If Cutler gets into a throwing match with Rodgers, history shows he will force a throw which leads to turnovers. In the end I see this costing the Bears the W.  The Bears are a more balanced team but I can’t see Rodgers and his cheese heads losing two in Lambeau. 

Pick: Packers

No comments:

Post a Comment